国民公園及び千鳥ケ淵戦没者墓苑

新宿御苑

Outline

Shinjuku Gyoen was constructed on the site of a private mansion belonging to Lord Naito, a "daimyo"(feudal lord) of the Edo era. Completed in 1906 as an imperial garden, it was re-designated as a national garden after the Second World War and opened to the public. With 58.3 ha(144 acres) in size and a circumference of 3.5 km, it blends three distinct styles, French Formal Garden, English Landscape Garden and Japanese Traditional Garden, and is considered to be one of the most important gardens from the Meiji era.


Among the 20,000 trees which grow in Shinjuku Gyoen, there are the first examples planted in Japan such plants as tulip trees, planes, Himalayan cedars and bald cypresses, whose distinctive crown shapes give the garden a solemn and dignified atmosphere.


Photo: Shinjuku Gyoen 1

Photo: Shinjuku Gyoen 2


Horticultural work has been conducted in the greenhouses since 1892. The present greenhouse complex, constructed during 1950, has a stock of more than 2,400 brilliantly colorful tropical and subtropical species on permanent display.


From the cherry blossoms in spring to the soft greens of summer, the chrysanthemums and colorful leaves of autumn and the snowscapes of winter, Sinjuku Gyoen is an ideal place to get close to nature and enjoy the changing seasons, the perfect oasis for metropolitan and short-term visitors alike.


Photo: Shinjuku Gyoen 3

Photo: Shinjuku Gyoen 4

Photo: Shinjuku Gyoen 5

To Page Top