Issues Related to Article 4
- There must be parity of treatment among all Annex I Parties, including those under an Article 4 arrangement
- In terms of compliance, environmental integrity dictates that any restrictions on transfers of assigned amount must include transfers under an Article 4 agreement.
- Surplus assigned amount may not be banked by Article 4 Parties when any members of the arrangement needs such assigned amount to meet its Article 3.1 commitment. Pursuant to Article 4.6 of the Protocol, any consequences for non-compliance with Article 3.1 apply to both the regional economic integration organization and any individual member state in non-compliance.
- In terms of mechanisms, a Party may not participate in mechanisms if another member of its Article 4 arrangement is not meeting eligibility requirements. Any limitations relevant to Article 17 apply equally to Article 4.
- Any recommendations regarding domestic action apply to each individual member of an Article 4 agreement.
- In order to assess compliance with Protocol commitments, reporting requirements must apply to Article 4 Parties both collectively and as individual Parties.