Adverse effects of climate change
Encourages Parties not included in Annex I to the Convention to provide information including for their national communications and any other relevant information sources on their specific needs and concerns from the adverse effects of climate change.
Actions to be taken by Annex II Parties include are encouraged to support the following actions:
- Pilot or demonstration projects to show how adaptation planning and assessment can be practically translated into projects and integrated into national policy and sustainable development planning. Non-Annex I Party national communications, other relevant sources and the staged approach endorsed by the COP will serve as a basis.
- Adaptation projects, when sufficient information is available to warrant such activities, inter alia, in the areas of water resources management, land management, agriculture, health , infrastructure development, ecosystems, and integrated coastal zone management
- Improved monitoring of diseases and disease control and prevention for Parties affected by climate change
- Avoidance of deforestation and prevention of land degradation, insofar as these activities are related to climate change
- Strengthening and , where necessary, establishing national and regional centers and information networks for rapid response to extreme weather events, utilizing information technology as much as possible
Actions to address impacts of response measures (Article 3.14)
Annex I Parties and other Parties in a position to do so decide are encouraged to report in their national communications on:
- The efforts to limit minimize the adverse social, environmental and economic impacts of the policies and measures they have adopted or are planning with the aim of addressing climate change, such as: reducing or phasing out out market distorting instruments (e.g. coal production subsidies) and reducing or phasing out the use of high emissions energy carriers from all sources.
- The national communications will be reviewed under the Kyoto Protocol (Article 8). A certain degree of flexibility shall be allowed to Parties included in Annex I undergoing the process of transition to a market economy.
Actions to address impacts of response measures (Article 4.8)
- Annex II Parties will are encouraged to assist non-Annex I Parties adversely affected by response measures through concrete actions based on further methodological work in the field of technology transfer, capacity building, economic diversification, increasing energy efficiency in fossil fuel production, advanced fossil fuel technologies (including carbon capture and storage)
- Developing country Parties will report on their specific needs and concerns arising from the implementation of response measures, effectively implementing the guidelines for national communications