November 25, 2005
The Ministry of the Environment compiled the Dioxin Emission Inventory of Japan from 1997 through 2004.
The Basic Guidelines for the Promotion of Measures against Dioxins (hereinafter referred to as "the Basic Guidelines") and the Government Plan to Reduce Dioxin Levels Resulting from Business Activities (hereinafter referred to as "the Plan") formulated pursuant to the Paragraph 1, Article 33 of the Law Concerning Special Measures against Dioxins (hereinafter referred to as "the Law") stipulates that the government shall compile its national inventory of dioxins annually. The Plan was revised in June 2005, and a new reduction target was set. The new target requires that total emission of dioxins shall be reduced by 15% from the FY 2003 level by FY 2010. The total emission in FY 2004 decreased by 10% from the FY 2003 level, showing a steady reduction towards the new target.
<Outline of the Dioxin Emission Inventory 2004>
1. Basic concept
- The Dioxin Emission Inventory is created annually pursuant to the Basic Guidelines and the Plan formulated pursuant to Paragraph 1, Article 33 of the Law.
2. Selection of emission sources
- Emission sources selected for the calculation are those that had actually been identified as releasing dioxins into the environment and from which the amounts of dioxins emitted could be estimated, while sources which are not stipulated under the POPs Convention and from which emissions are too small (below 0.1g-TEQ/year) to affect the total value are not subject to estimation.
3. Estimation years and method for indicating emission amounts
- The Dioxin Emission Inventory was prepared to show the annual amounts of dioxins released through the years from 1997 to 2004. Emission amounts are indicated with WHO's Toxic Equivalency Factor (WHO-TEF 1998). In cases where new scientific knowledge had become available, the annual amounts of emissions in and before 2003 were revised accordingly.
4. Results of the estimated emission amounts
- The results of the estimations were compiled into the Dioxin Emission Inventory (see the Table and the Figure). The amounts of dioxins emitted have been in a downward trend year by year. The emission for 2004 registered 341-363g-TEQ, close to a 10% decline from the 2003 level.
5. Assessment of achievement status of reduction target
- The Plan revised in June 2005 stipulates that "the total national release of dioxins shall be reduced to 315 - 343g - TEQ, approximately 15% below the 2003 level by FY 2010." Estimated dioxin emission for 2004 has decreased by approximately 10% from the 2003 level, showing a steady progress towards the target.
|* National Dioxin Emission Inventory (Summary)|
|* Changes in the Total Emission of Dioxins|
|* For further information on dioxins, see http://www.env.go.jp/en/chemi|